29 July 2005

Trillions Are Machine-Elves



Just finished reading Trillions to my youngest son and during the conversation we had about it afterwards - at the moment our 'bedtime' talk (i.e what he asks me about to avoid having to go to sleep) is pretty much about Space/ Hyper-dimensions/ Parallel Universes etc - it struck me that Nicholas Fisk is pretty much describing Terence McKenna's DMT-inspired Self Transforming Machine Elves.

I'm not gonna explain. If you've got kids and you can be arsed you'll see what I mean.

There's a general peace, love, 2001 A Space Odyssey vibe permeating through the whole book which goes some way to reinforce the idea that maybe this is an intentional steal (it was written in 1971 - at the peak of the flash, so to speak) and about 7/8ths through the book there's a sequence of pure psychogealed hyper-dimensional fun and frolics that should leave no question that Nicholas Fisk is a space-cadet of the lowest order.

Example


On the other hand I'm not at all sure about this.

4 comments:

N.E. said...

Can I borrow it on the pretext that it's for my son, when really I just wanna re-read it myself? Not sure I picked-up all the sublties when I was 11...

Loki said...

yeah no problem...e-mail me your address and i'll send it on...

oh and while you're there...no chance of getting a CDR of that mix you just posted on Idiot's Guide - looks excellent but my crappy dial up isn't gonna cope... cheeky I know...

if there's anything you'd like a copy of in return then let me know...

(just like getting things in the post really - like the old fanzine days...)

I am not Kek-w said...

Speaking of which: haven't forgotten those CDs, Lok...just been busy last few days. I'll try'n get my shit in gear next week.

Anonymous said...

I was browsing around, having been randomly reminded of the author Nicholas Fisk, who was one of my favourites when I was, maybe - 9 or 10? Trillions was great - as I remember it. So it's nice to read this blogging mention. What age do you reckon the book is appropriate for? I'd love to read it to my son - he's 6. A bit early?

Related Posts with Thumbnails